Monday, November 29, 2010

National Deaf Jamaican Sports Day

Saturday was the first ever National Deaf Jamaican Sports Day.
We were able to attend (before our Thanksgiving meal together)
since it was held in Mandeville. Deaf came from all over the
island to participate and any one ages 9 & up were able to compete.
Much to Blake and Kirks disappointment the rules were
very strict in allowing only the deaf to participate. They
had hoped to be a part of a basketball team, but had to
settle for playing referees for the games instead:)
The JDV guys playing in a basketball game
Jordan playing in the KP vs LMG game
Jordan and Romaine against Kemoy
The girls played net ball
This was my first time watching netball and it was interesting.
Its like basketball except there is no dribbling just passing
and the uniforms consist of little skirts not basketball shorts:)
The yellow team was made up of JAD and Kingston girls
I don't know who the green team was.

Then there was running!
Lorenzo competing from KP
Micheal from Kingston
and Mario from MoBay
(I don't know the other competitors)
Yashira from KP
Chrystal from Mobay
and (I think) Renice from Kingston
Once all the students raced the adults started racing
and those races finished out the day.

Days like these are so fun to attend. Days that everyone is
encouraged and reminded that the deaf can do anything anyone
else can do if they are willing to try!

1 comments:

Nature Lover said...

Awesome pics of the NSD, but I must say how much I love love love pictures of JB! :D:D:D Thanks for posting/sharing! :)