Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One's Trash Is Anothers Treasure

The last few days have been crazy windy. Today I was sitting down after school watching my kids run around and thinking to myself. It would be the perfect day to fly a kite... the kids would have so much fun... if only we had kites!
Then I look over and Jonathan (one of our new special students) was kicking a bag and it would get caught in the wind and fly for a bit and he was having a BLAST chasing this bag. That got me to thinking. How easy it would be to make a "kite" out of a plastic bag and some yarn.
Of course I had not fully processed this before I started doing it because once the first "kite" was made I was ambushed and everyone wanted a "kite" well I had plenty of yarn but only 3 plastic bags so then all the kids where digging through the big trash barrels all over the campus looking for bags that have been thrown away so they could have a "kite" too.I was kinda grossed out at times because some of the bags were gooey as I was tying yarn to them and I didn't have any clue what that goo was or where the bag came from.
But the kids did have so much fun and ran around for hours with their "kites" and squealed with delight (then some tears) as the wind would at times get really strong and pull the strings out of some of the kids hands. They loved seeing that the bag went so high and far, but then realized that they were not getting the bag back after it would fly up and over the school, and they were not very happy about that.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

2 comments:

Meg said...

What a blessing you are to those kiddos!! Keep up the creative juices,Erin, you are doing mighty works for our King;) love you -meg

Kristy said...

You are so creative :) What an awesome idea! Looks like they're having a BLAST! And by the way, love your 'intro' pic of one of the boys blowing bubbles.

Praying!